PARTICIPANTS MAY SELECT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- One Competitive Category (Grade or Age)
- One Competitive Category (Grade or Age) and Non-competitive Class
- Non-competitive Class
|Grade Categories**||Time Limit||Registration Fee|
|Novice – Introductory to Grade 3||3 minutes||$55|
|Junior – Grade 4 to 6||6 minutes||$70|
|Intermediate – Grade 7 to 8||12 minutes||$85|
|Senior – Grade 9 to 10||18 minutes||$100|
|Diploma – Diploma & above||22 minutes||$120|
**Based on The Royal Conservatory of Music Certificate Program
|Age Categories||Time Limit||Registration Fee|
|Age 6 to 8||10 minutes||$70|
|Age 9 to 12||12 minutes||$90|
|Age 13 to 15||15 minutes||$110|
|Age 16 to 19||20 minutes||$130|
|Age 20 to 30||25 Minutes||$150|
- Participants must submit ONE single, unedited video recording of their performance on an acoustic piano. Their performance must consist of two pieces of contrasting musical styles, one of which must be from the Baroque or the Classical Era.
- For example, a Prelude and Fugue may be played with one movement of a Classical Sonata; two contrasting movements from the same classical sonata constitute one musical selection.
- For Grade 10 & Diploma levels, one or more movements from the same sonata may be played as one selection, providing both repertoire selections chosen are within the time limit.
- Selections belonging to two different grades under The Royal Conservatory of Music’s Piano Syllabi but to the same Grade Category may be registered under the Grade Category (Example: Selections from Grade 5 and 6 may be registered under the Junior Category). Selections that fall under two different Grade Categories must be registered under the Age Category. (Example: Selections from Grade 6 and 7 must be registered under the participant’s Age Category.)
- Participants with selections that are not included in The Royal Conservatory of Music’s Piano Syllabi must enter under the Age Category.
- Participants with an average mark of 90% and above may be considered for the Virtual Gala Competition; however, achieving an average of 90% and above does not guarantee placement at the Virtual Gala Competition.
- Names and marks of participants selected to advance to the Virtual Gala Competition (the “finalist”) in each category will be posted online by November 25, 2020, 11:59pm PST.
- The Preliminary Round will be adjudicated by two professional adjudicators appointed by Pacific International Youth Music Society.
- Written critique and marks will be emailed to the participants and their teachers.
- Up to two finalists from each Competitive Category will be selected, based on the adjudicators’ recommendations, to compete at the Virtual Gala Competition. The adjudicators reserve the right to declare one or no finalist in any Competitive Category advancing to the Virtual Gala Competition.
- The adjudicators’ decisions are final.
Virtual Gala Competition
- Judging panel at the Virtual Gala Competition consists of three No marks and critiques will be given.
- Finalists selected to participate at the Virtual Gala Competition will be notified via email by November 25, 2020, 11:59pm PST.
- Finalists must submit another video recording of the repertoire, selected by the adjudicators, by December 1, 2020, 11:59pm PST in order to compete for scholarships.
- The Pacific Youth Virtual Gala Competition will be live-streamed on December 5, 2020 at 5:00pm PST.
- Final results of the Virtual Gala Competition will be posted and announced on http://www.piyms.org by December 5, 2020 by 11:59pm PST.
Medals and Scholarships
|Age 6 to 8||$150||$75|
|Age 9 to 12||$200||$100|
|Age 13 to 15||$300||$150|
|Age 16 to 19||$400||$200|
|Age 20 to 30||$500||$250|
|Age Category||Time Limit||Registration Fee|
|Up to Age 30||20 Minutes||$100|
- Participants may perform one or more repertoire up to the time limit.
- Written critique will be emailed to the participants and teachers.